Sunday, January 22, 2023

RIP, SPARCL12

 This is unbelievable.  When something just works, you tend to forget about it.  It then plugs along, running consistently from day to day, year to year.  In the case of SPARCL12, it went on the air in February of 2013.  A few days ago, it went down, reporting a BIOS error.  I've been too busy getting SPARCL16 going to even consider how long L12 had been running.  That machine ran continuously for just about ten years!  Got my money's worth out of that one, didn't I?

In the meantime, I had forgotten how complex SPOCS really is.  It's a good thing I wrote a manual for it;  it reminded me of all the necessary things that I had forgotten, over the years.  But anyway, SPARCL16 is up and running.  Maybe now I'll find time to do a post-mortem on poor L12, and find out what happened.