Thursday, November 17, 2022

Who Says You Can Trust Microsoft???

 I hope all of the Free and Open Software organizations out there take note.  If this is how Microsoft treats its customers, then how much worse is their attitude toward their competitors, rivals, and enemies?

I've been using Windows 10 at work for some time.  You get used to the occasional interruptions for updates, which Microsoft seems to push out when it's convenient for them, not me.  A week ago, I had one of those interruptions pop up, saying I needed to reboot my PC.

This is my work PC, and it has nice solid state hard drives, so a reboot is a lot less of an interruption than it used to be.  So, since it was the beginning of the day, and I hadn't started doing anything special yet, I told Windows to go ahead and reboot.

After the customary reboot and update process, I logged in.  My desktop was different.  Not hugely different, just different enough to be annoying.  Enough for me to spend some time getting the settings back where I wanted them.  Ever notice when an outfit like Microsoft upgrades a software package, they have to tweak it until it is different to use than the previous version.  And NOT in a good way!

Later, I noticed the PC was having small, glitchy issues with my virtual machine.  I tried checking the knowledgebase for the software I was using, but no luck.

So today, my friendly IT guy shows up.  He wanted to show me something he wrote, but it didn't work on my machine.  Turns out my machine had been stealthily "upgraded" to Windows 11.  My IT guy gave me instructions on how to revert back to Windows 10.  My old desktop appeared, just as I had it.  No more weird problems.  At the tail end of the reversion process, a dialogue appeared, saying "thanks for trying Windows 11".

That was kind of a poke to the eye - Microsoft installed Windows 11 without any warning of any kind.  No notices, no heads up, no permission,  no absolutely nothing.  Trust Microsoft?  NOPE.

In other news, in case President Trump hasn't told you - "Nancy Pelosi, you're fired!"  It's about time!   Now the new House can dismantle that vengeful, wasteful "January 6 commission".  Maybe now they can investigate President Biden's crooked son, among other things the White House and liberal media have been covering up.  One can only hope.