Friday, March 3, 2017

Saving Festival

Oh, my, my!  Between having bronchitis, and certain family members deciding to display their complete and utter ignorance of reality, things have been really interesting.  Last week, I finally emerged from my cave, where I had been recuperating.  The antibiotics helped, too... Thanks, doc!

In the meantime, I have been in touch with Alan Black,  He seems to be the lead man on the Festival project for the University of Edinburgh.  Alan was not aware of the problems Festival has with the changes to GCC version 6, which started shipping with Fedora version 24.  The changes to the way code is compiled are far-reaching.  Just about every package will need re-compiled.  For most, it will probably not matter.  For some, changes will be needed to their code.

In a short time, Alan Black has produced a new test version of Festival, which a number of other users and I tested.  Alan says if all goes well, a new version of Festival will be released soon.  At least, the new version worked on L15, running Fedora 25 & GCC version 6.

I have also been in touch with the Fedora Bugzilla mailing list.   As I mentioned earlier, the Fedora developers were getting ready to drop Festival from the supported package list, because festival would crash after being compiled with GCC6.

So, The next version of SPOCS is on hold, until we get the new version of Festival.  I have a couple of ideas for SPOCS improvements, and I am working on them in the meantime.

Good night, Ma and Pa Wolfe, wherever you are.