In my last post, I was extolling the great things about whole-house air conditioning. It's been pretty good, with one exception.
I was wiring a new plug for power for the condensate pump. We had it plugged into an extension cord, temporarily. I was installing a real wall-mounted duplex plug to supply power to the pump. In the process of connecting the plug - I didn't want to turn off power to the lab, so the wiring was live - I accidentally shorted the "hot" lead to ground. It was only for a moment, and drew a nice spark. It didn't even blow the breaker.
BUT - SPOCS immediately started telling me that some communications were down. Somehow, that arc caused the main RS-232 to RS-485 communications converter to give out. Even though everything is powered through UPSs or at least, surge-protector electrical plug strips. The bad part came when I replaced the converter - and discovered that the spare was bad, also! Fortunately, I have several of them.
Node 11 - on slots 2-4, is still occasionally complaining of occasional communication failures. I have checked every connection in the network. I swapped the PLC, which is living in slots 2-4, with another one. No change. All other communications are working fine. Grrr. I will find and fix this. It is taking away from getting the new inputs from the furnace / heat pump system.