Sunday, January 27, 2013

Brrrr...but the penguins are happy!

It's been cold here in Dellroy-land these days.  That makes the temperature in our underground lab tend to drop, but SPARCL9, L10, & L11 don't mind at all. (for now, there's nothing in the fourth slot of the Penguin Farm, where SPARCL8 used to be.)
A hard drive crash helped me lose the source code for the 2.0 version of the SPOCS console.  I managed to find a 1.95 version of it, and I'm restoring the things that were done for version 2.0.  Fortunately, there weren't very many.  I have been looking at free alternatives to RealBASIC (now Real Studio).  The most promising one was Q7Basic, but it does not support pointers.  I could program around that, but it would complicate things too much for my taste.  So - I plan on buying a copy of Real Studio.  I've been using the trial version for Linux now, making sure it supports our application, which it does.  The main updates are in the area of the System Tags.  I have those changes in the new version, now.
In the meantime, I am looking forward to beginning my new job.  After almost eight years at my current one, it was time to move along.  More on this in the coming days.  First, we have to deal with the ice storm that is predicted to hit our area tonight.
P.S. Happy 60th blog post, SPOCS!